For many families, the holidays are all about getting together to share old traditions that take place in the kitchen.
From rolling out sheets of dough to wrapping up cookies with a festive touch, incorporating baking into your holiday traditions is something that everyone in the family can join in on. Remember, successful baking begins with quality ingredients, so make sure your pantry is stocked with the essentials, such as Clabber Girl baking powder. Once you have everything you need, your family can create tasty holiday goodies and memories to last a lifetime.
Here are some baking traditions you can start with your own family:
Bake and decorate
Start a tradition of baking and decorating holiday cookies. Even the very young can get involved by placing icing, sprinkles and other fun goodies on cookies.
Make it a cookie day
Gather as many relatives as you can for a day of baking cookies. Start by pooling all of your ingredients together. Be sure to include a fresh can of Clabber Girl baking powder to ensure successful baking. Then, let the baking begin. With so many hands in the kitchen, you’ll have a little cookie workshop in no time. At the end of the day you can divide out the cookies evenly so everyone can share with friends. For more great recipes, visit www.clabbergirl.com.
Deliver holiday smiles
Baking is only half the fun. After you’ve baked and boxed up your goodies, make it a family affair to hand deliver them to neighbors and friends. The recipients will love the friendly touch almost as much as the tasty treats.
The tradition of baking festive goodies is one that every family member will look forward to each holiday season. Here is a new twist on a holiday favorite to add to your baking list:
Recipe: Candy Cane Biscotti
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely crushed candy canes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 squares while chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Cream together the sugar, butter, water, peppermint extract and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add flour mixture, 1/2 cup crushed candy canes and almonds. Beat on low speed until just blended.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into 10-by-3-inch log; place each log on separate prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake each log 30 minutes or until center is firm to the touch.
- Let cool 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- Place on cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes; turn and bake 12 to 15 minutes longer or until edges are browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Dip each cookie halfway into melted chocolate. Before chocolate solidifies, dip ends into remaining crushed candy canes or sprinkle crushed candy onto chocolate. Store in a tightly covered container.