As the fall season begins, kids go back to school and schedules once again book up with activities.
Between work, the carpool line and shuttling kids to extracurriculars, the increase in family commitments often leaves little time in the kitchen or at the dining table. Although the drive-thru is an easy solution, healthier options can be scarce and the cost of takeout piles up. Instead, add some quick family meals to your arsenal.
Southwestern Bean Mexican Pizza made with READ Southwestern Bean Salad is a fun twist on the Italian favorite that pairs perfectly with fruit, carrot sticks or a salad for a complete, family-friendly meal.
For an easy make-ahead option, grab a jar of Aunt Nellie’s Beets and make Beef, Beet and Horseradish Wraps. Both recipes can help you have dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less.
1Southwestern Bean Mexican Pizza
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) READ Southwestern Bean Salad
- 1 pre-baked pizza crust (10-12-inch diameter)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (about 1/4 cup crumbled)
- 1/2-3/4 cup thin bell pepper strips (1/4-inch thick), any color or combination
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped avocado (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Drain bean salads. Place half of beans in bowl of food processor; process until pureed but chunky.
- Spread puree evenly over pizza crust. Spoon remaining drained beans over puree. Sprinkle with bacon, bell pepper and cheese.
- Bake as directed on pizza crust package until heated through and cheese is melted, about 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with avocado and sour cream, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 276 calories; 11 g protein; 35 g carbohydrates; 10 g fat; 648 mg sodium; 14 mg cholesterol; 5 g dietary fiber; 11 mg iron; .02 mg thiamin; 575 IU vitamin A; 7 mg vitamin C.