Halloween is the sweetest holiday of the year, making it a favorite for giddy children who dream of giant bags of candy. Before they rush out the door on Halloween night, make sure your kids and their fellow trick-or-treaters are filled up with something other than candy.
Serve your ghouls and goblins a sweet, salty and colorful snack with this recipe for Spooky Snack Mix. Made with peanuts, pretzels, marshmallows and chocolate chips, it’s a perfect after-school snack. For more seasonal recipes and baking tips, visit www.Karosyrup.com and www.Breadworld.com.
For a tried-and-true kid favorite, serve them this recipe for classic Pepperoni Pizza. It’s the perfect dinnertime solution for busy families who crave the gooey, cheesy goodness of homemade pizza.
Recipe: Spooky Snack Mix
- 5 cups crispy corn cereal squares
- 2 cups cinnamon-flavored bear-shaped graham crackers
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 cups tiny twist pretzels
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo(r) Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands(r) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/8 teaspoon yellow food coloring plus 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, OR 1/2 teaspoon orange paste food coloring
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups small candies such as candy corn, candy coated chocolate pieces, etc.
- 1/2 cup white OR semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons Mazola(r) Corn Oil
- Mix together cereal, crackers, peanuts and pretzels in large bowl sprayed with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Stirring frequently, bring to boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla and food colorings (mixture will bubble).
- Drizzle glaze over snack mix and toss to coat. Gently stir in marshmallows and candy; immediately spread on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate chips and oil until smooth. Drizzle over snack mix and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set chocolate.
- Store mix in air-tight container.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Chill time: 30 minute(s)
Makes 18 Cups
Recipe: Pepperoni Pizza
- 1 3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s(r) Pizza Crust Yeast or RapidRise Yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120°F to 130°F)*
- 3 tablespoons Mazola(r) Corn Oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup pizza sauce
- Pepperoni slices
- 1 to 2 cups (4 to 8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Add very warm water and oil; mix until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead on floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. (If using RapidRise Yeast, let dough rest at this point for 10 minutes.)
- Pat dough with floured hands to fill greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Or, roll dough on floured counter to 12-inch circle; place in greased pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Form rim by pinching edge of dough.
- Spread with pizza sauce. Top with pepperoni and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake on lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.
- *If you don’t have a thermometer, water should feel very warm to the touch.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Makes 1 12 inch Pizza