The days just keep getting busier and busier. Schedules are more hectic and, too often, meals take a backseat to family chaos. Instead of opting for delivery or carry-out, build a repertoire of nutritious, delicious and quick recipes that can be prepared at home for the entire family to enjoy.
A salad is a simple mealtime solution for a household on the go. This Beans & Greens Salad takes less than 15 minutes to assemble when you begin with a pantry staple, a can of READ 3 or 4 Bean Salad, and just four other ingredients. Already seasoned and ready to eat, this salad is chock-full of green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and chickpeas in a tangy, slightly sweet dressing. Toss the bean salad with mixed greens and lemony vinaigrette, then top with crumbled bacon and cheese, if desired. For additional recipes and more information about READ Salads, visit www.readsalads.com.
Not only is it easy to make, it’s very versatile whether served as a side salad or a light, meatless main dish. The addition of sliced cooked chicken or beef makes a heartier entree. You’ll feel good about this meal, and you’ll feel even better about your newly acquired spare time.
Recipe: Beans & Greens Salad
- 1 can (15 ounces) READ 3 or 4 Bean Salad
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 package (about 10 ounces) mixed salad greens with carrots
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, about 1/4 cup, optional
- Shaved Parmesan or Asiago cheese, optional
- Drain bean salad well; reserve 1/2 cup liquid in small bowl.
- For dressing, whisk together bean liquid and lemon juice, then whisk in oil.
- Add pepper, as desired.
- Place salad greens in bowl.
- Add bean salad and bacon, if desired.
- Add dressing, as desired.
- Toss gently to coat.
- Arrange on platter; top with shaved cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information provided based on per serving (1/4 of recipe): 153 calories; 2 g protein; 20 g carbohydrate; 7 g fat; 389 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g dietary fiber; 2 mg iron; 0 mg thiamin; 4587 IU vitamin A; 22 mg vitamin C.
Variation: Top salad with sliced cooked chicken or beef, then top with cheese.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Raising a healthy family is very important and we'd like you to join our weekly newsletter to get our family life tips delivered directly to you to enjoy at a time that is convenient for you.