Old-Fashioned Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup Premier Protein Caramel Shake
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) yeast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided, plus additional for greasing bowl and pan
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading and rolling
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon Premier Protein Caramel Shake
- Heat protein shake in microwave or on stove to about 110° F, or warm to touch but not boiling.
- In medium bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm protein shake and stir to combine. Let sit 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and egg, and mix until well combined. Gradually add flour, stirring after each addition. Once dough is no longer too sticky to handle, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 3-5 minutes to make moderately soft dough. Shape dough into ball.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in warm place until size has doubled (about 1 hour). Punch dough down, cover and let rise 1 additional hour. Punch dough down.
- Grease 8-by-8-inch glass or metal baking dish and set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12-by-8-inch rectangle. Using pastry brush, brush about 1 1/2 tablespoons of remaining butter evenly over dough. Sprinkle 2/3 of cinnamon sugar mixture over dough.
- Using pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into nine even 12-inch strips. Roll each strip tightly, sealing ends by pressing into dough. Arrange rolls in prepared pan. Pour remaining butter over buns then sprinkle remaining cinnamon and sugar on top. Let rise uncovered 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Bake rolls 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While rolls cool slightly, prepare glaze. In small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and protein shake until smooth. Drizzle rolls with glaze. Serve warm.