Orange and Vanilla Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 pounds (about 4 cups) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons medium or dry sherry
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup Premier Protein Vanilla Shake
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil.
- In large bowl, toss squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cardamom and nutmeg. Place on baking sheet and roast 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in 3-quart pot over medium-high heat, heat remaining olive oil. Add leeks, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized.
- Remove squash from oven and add to leeks. Stir in sherry and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend to desired consistency using immersion or standard blender. Reheat if desired. Stir in orange zest, protein shake, remaining salt and pepper. Serve immediately.