Open-Faced BLT Sandwiches
Prepare an easy, seasonal appetizer with fresh produce from your local farmer’s market. Take this summertime classic sandwich up a notch by topping it with capers and pairing it with a chilled Grillo or Frappato from Sicilia DOC.
Recipe courtesy of Wines of Sicily
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 1 loaf country bread
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional to drizzle
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Place bacon on baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes depending on thickness of bacon. Remove bacon from oven and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Using bread knife, slice bread 1/3-inch thick into single-serving slices; toast lightly.
- Add arugula leaves and cherry tomatoes to medium bowl. In separate bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic vinegar; add to tomatoes and arugula, and gently toss to coat.
- To assemble, drizzle olive oil on one side of toasted bread. Arrange arugula, bacon and tomato mixture on top. Finish each sandwich with sprinkle of salt, ground pepper and a few capers.