Apples are one of the most popular and versatile fruits available. Apples are not only delicious, but they are also incredibly nutritious and offer numerous health benefits.
Eating apples can help improve your overall health and reduce your risk for certain diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer. Apples can also aid in weight loss.
Here are some of the top benefits of eating apples on a regular basis.
Apples are packed with antioxidants. Antioxidants play an important role in protecting the body from oxidative stress. When an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants arises in the body, oxidative stress is created.
Left unchecked, it can degrade cellular health leading to a variety of illnesses. The antioxidants found in apples can also help reduce inflammation, which is associated with multiple chronic conditions.
- According to studies apples contain significant levels of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber works as a natural laxative preventing constipation. Dietary fiber also promotes digestive health.
- Apples are rich in pectin; Pectin is a soluble fiber (polysaccharide) found in fruits. Pectin works to bind substances in the intestines and adds bulk to the stools. It may also reduce how much cholesterol the body absorbs from foods, and helps to maintain normal blood sugar levels
- Apples are low in sodium, which helps regulate blood pressure
- Apples are low in calories and fat and high in essential vitamins and minerals, which also aids in weight loss
- Additionally, apples contain an array of vitamins and minerals that boost overall health.
Packed full of Vitamins and Minerals
Apples are rich in vitamins, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and K, and the minerals Calcium and Potassium Each of these vitamins and minerals play a vital role in maintaining good health.
- Vitamin A helps keep your skin and eyes healthy; it also aids with cell growth.
- Vitamin C is important for keeping your immune system strong and can help prevent colds and flu.
- Vitamin K plays an important role in the body. Vitamin K promotes the clotting of blood, helps keep blood pressure at healthy levels, lowers the risk of heart disease, and promotes strong bones there-by preventing osteoporosis, it may also improve memory in older adults.
- Calcium is a vital mineral for bone health and strength. It also helps to maintain healthy muscles, teeth, nails, and skin. Calcium can help reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis, heart disease, and certain types of cancers. It is also beneficial in controlling fluid balance and plays an important role in nerve transmission.
- Potassium plays a critical role in keeping our bodily functions operating smoothly. It is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure, heart rate, and even muscle contractions.
- Apples are a reliable source of all three vitamins, making them an ideal choice for anyone looking to maintain good health. Not only do apples provide essential nutrients, but they also taste delicious! So, snack on apples throughout the day to get the vitamins you need and enjoy a tasty snack.
Which is Better Red or Green Apples?
Green apples provide a wealth of benefits for the body. Not only are they rich in vitamins A, B, C, and K; but also boast higher levels of potassium and iron than their red counterparts. Additionally, green apples have lower calorie content – making them ideal snacks to aid weight loss plans – yet equally as much fiber despite having ten percent fewer carbohydrates on average than red varieties.
Red apples, however, contain 50% more beta carotene according to experts which are a strong antioxidant helpful in fighting cellular damage and cancer cells. So depending on your needs, either red or green apples will provide you with the nutrients your body needs.
Apples are an incredibly nutritious food, an excellent source of a variety of essential vitamins and minerals that offers numerous health benefits. Eating apples can help reduce the risk of multiple medical conditions, promote digestive health, and support weight loss efforts. So don’t forget to pick up a nice juicy apple today to make apples a part of your daily diet for optimal health.
No matter which type of apples you choose, apples can contribute to your overall health. So, enjoy all the amazing health benefits apples have to offer!